WARNING!!! Swallowed Magnets Can Be Dangerous!
Wed, Jun 14, 2017
Pediatric ingestion of high-powered, rare earth magnets (or neodymium magnets) is a serious health problem. Neodymium magnets are extremely powerful magnets that can attract each other from a significant distance. The culprit of a growing trend of magnet ingestions are small high-powered 5mm magnets sold in packages of 100 or more. These magnets sets and are commonly marketed as "adult desk toys."
GI Kids and NASPGHAN have called for a ban on the sale of high-powered magnet sets because there is compelling evidence that the use of warning labels in their marketing and packaging have not been effective in preventing the ingestion of these magnets by infants, children and teenagers.
They are frequently found in:
Desk or office toys Toys
Office supplies Jewelry
Pain relief products Machines and tools
These magnets usually are small in size and round in shape, like BBs or ball bearings. Magnet ball brand names include BuckyBalls™ and Neocube™
Though intended for adult use, they are difficult to keep out of the reach of children They are shiny and attractive to toddlers and frequently used by “tweens” and teens to mimic body piercing jewelry
Extremely powerful magnetic attractions are produced When more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnetic force can bring two pieces of intestine tightly together, and make holes in the intestines
Magnet ingestion can lead to bowel injury, blockage or severe infection
What can parents do?